Bike Commute - 24 through 52


No, I haven't bailed on the whole concept of bike commuting. I've just been really poor when it comes to blogging about it. Perhaps it's getting routine. Here are the highlights for the past 24 B.C. days;

06.26 HOT… It's warm for this area. It was 76 this morning. It was hot all weekend but very nice to be on the lake racing. Needed to get the tires rotated this week so took the opportunity (if you can call heat that…) to drive to Costco and ride into work from there. Just a ten minute ride. That will be nice at the end of the day when the temp. will likely be in the 90's (which is hot for this area but not really bad).

06.28 What's with the weather whiplash? I mean we almost reach triple digits over the weekend and the early part of this week… and this morning it's 55. It was a little chilly… even with two layers on top. Nice for sleeping that's for sure… The ride home should be nice (forecast calls for about 80).
Thursday - sailing, Friday - WFH.

07.11 Nearly a week off… due to family visiting and vehicle exchanges. Our Highlander has room for seven and the car I drove in the swap was much more fun to drive than my bike! Okay, back to riding and it felt good to get some exercise.

07.12 A little light rain (or humidity as I like to say) this morning. A little debate with myself about whether to ride or not but I'm glad I did. The "humidity" wasn't really an issue so as long as it's fairly pleasant going home... it's all good.

07.21 HOT… mid 70's this morning. The temp maxed out at 98

07.24 HOTTER… about 80 on the way in with a max of 100. We’ve seen triple digits three days in a row. Very unusual.

07.28 Nice temperatures today… Cold overnight and cool for the ride in. Seems like we're back to normal temperatures.

07.25 Accident on Spencer Creek… Significant delays… after getting towed into town I rode from the body shop. No way to avoid the heat at noon.. about 80. Roughly the same route but a bit shorter.

07.31 Wow… Is it really the 31st of July? The chill in the crisp morning air says it is…

08.02 Short trip from Costco and back… Rotating the tires on the Camry.

08.14 Wow… Ten days since my last bike commute. Last week was single parent, kids in Crux rock climbing camp week. I chose to maximize my work time with the extra running around (as camp was only 9-1) and worked from home in the afternoons. Now it's back to the regularly scheduled program. Looks like I'm getting close to 700 miles and $100.

08.21 Made it past $100 and 750 miles at the end of last week. The weather is getting cooler and there was pretty general cloud cover this morning. I'm starting to debate how much longer I'll ride. As long as it's not raining, the temperature doesn't bother me. There's still lots of good weather left and the kids will start school next month. I'll be back to my original park and ride routine. I'm starting to think I'll go back to car pooling rather than ride all winter through the rain. That will (hopefully) force me to get some exercise another way (and give me an opportunity to do another activity).

08.23 Mid to upper 50's early this morning. My route was altered and extended. My mission was to deliver a couple care packages to the kids at Camp Harlow. They're there this week… overnight. It's been kinda nice… a little strange and very quiet at home. Last night Jolyn and I went to one of our favorite places to eat. It's a little place called Koho Bistro.

09.01 AWESOME wind last night for racing. Pretty much a steady 18 mph from the north for the whole race with nice gusts. Best wind we've had all summer and it didn't die as the sun set. It was real "Big Boy Wind" which we like and typically do well with. After a mediocre start with half a dozen boats in front of us right off the bat, we worked hard on the first leg and rounded the first mark in second place. We caught that boat on the next leg, passed them at the jibe mark and rounded the douse mark first. From that point on, it was drive fast, race clean (avoid mistakes) and cover the boats behind us. We are pretty hard to pass when we are out front, in heavy air and race cleanly. That was the case through the next legs (windward, leeward, windward and reach to the tower) of the course. We extended our lead with every leg. This was good preparation going into next weekend's Harvest Regatta.




DAYDateTimeDistanceCumulative DistanceSavingsTotal SavingsWeather
40
8.2.2006
2mi661mi$2.21$90.58EUG

2mi663mi
48
8.23.2006
12mi800mi$2.23$08.37EUG

9mi809mi
52
9.01.2006
9mi872mi$2.21$117.23EUG

9mi881mi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The RC is Always Right....

Blue Like Jazz

Bike Commute - Day 8